Breast Cancer Facts
- All women are at risk of breast cancer.
- The two greatest risk factors of developing breast cancer are being a woman and getting older.
- In the Vietnam War, over 50,000 Americans died. Each year, almost as many women die of breast cancer.
- A woman is diagnosed with breast cancer every 3 minutes.
- A woman dies from breast cancer every 11 minutes.
- In the 1960′s a woman’s risk of breast cancer was 1 in 14; today a woman’s risk of breast cancer is 1 in 8.
- 85% of women diagnosed with breast cancer have no prior family history.
- When breast cancer is confined to the breast, the five-year survival rate is over 95%.
- Mammography detects approximately 2 to 3 times as many early breast cancers as physical examination.
- Breast cancer accounts for nearly 1 in 3 cancers diagnosed among women.
Breast cancer is the leading cause of death among women aged 35-54.